Tuesday, December 19, 2017

We Don't Change The Torah

I read  piece today on one of the silly anti-Jewish Jewish websites by a housewife from Cederhurst whose son came out [very unhappily] as a "gay". Her assertion is that that he is not a sinner even though he no longer keeps Torah and mitzvos [after learning at Hakotel and serving in the IDF - hey, I ALSO learned at Hakotel:-)] and will be having sex with other men. He can't help it and thus it is not his fault. According to her bio she enjoys cooking and listening to the Grateful Dead. 

I appreciate the sentiment of a Jewish mother who loves her son. My mother also seems to think that  I am one of the four greatest people on earth [together with my three siblings]. However, I would hope that if I was being sinful my mother would not write a blog post to the world telling everyone how great I am and that the Torah and rabbis are wrong for having a moral standard that counters my immorality [she wouldn't]. 

I wonder - If her son were molesting her grandchildren, would she be as accepting? "We support you in your decision to be a pedophile because you are very special and can't help yourself". Where do we draw the line? Why is behavior suddenly permitted because someone you love is inclined to it? Why should we discard 5,000 years of Jewish tradition because your son wants to sleep with other men?? Why do you write about this? Why are there idiotic remarks in the comment section supporting your nonsense? 

Of course a mother should love her child but we have come to a place in world history where there is no longer right or wrong, good or bad, male or female, Jew or goy etc. etc. Everything, everybody and every behavior is equal.

So I will be clear about it. A man may not sleep with a man [unless they are in different parts of the room and actually sleeping]. It is a SIN. Being attracted to a man doesn't permit it - even if it is hard to resist [I can't pretend to understand what such people feel and go through but their difficulties don't make it moral]. The Torah remains the immutable word of G-d. Even in Cederhurst and even if he served in the IDF. Housewives have no right to call for a change in the Torah - even if they like the Grateful Dead and can make a wicked potato kugel. House husbands have no such right either, nor does anybody including a prophet. We have been dying for the Torah from time immemorial and a poor, sad, unfortunate boy's sexual preference is not going to change it. 

It is too bad that he chose to reject the rest of the Torah as well. Just because he has chosen to do one type of aveirah doesn't mean that he has to do the rest. He can be 612 out of 613. He should speak to his Rabbeim in Hakotel. They would tell him that.      

I was debating whether to write this post because it is stating the obvious but the chilul Hashem of the sentiments of this boy's mother was painful so I felt a need to counter it. Plus, I didn't know that people still listened to the Grateful Dead.