Monday, December 25, 2017

Frightening And Distressing

This is from an article in a recent edition of the YU Commentator, written by a Stern girl: 
  
"Mr. Prager is being naive if he assumes that the only sexual activity on the YU campus is within a state of marriage.....Similar to any other college campus, YU has its share of couples, dates, and romances, as well as a hookup culture. I do not state that with negative connotations, nor do I wish to detail specifics, as it is not my business nor anyone else’s. However, it is important to make the point as the fine line between sexual activity and sexual objectification is often a dangerous one. Sexual activity is fine. As long as the relationship is consensual, it is healthy and normal."

This young lady doesn't believe that there is anything negative about a hookup culture. She believes that sexual activity is fine, as long as it is consensual. It is healthy and normal. It is actually the greatest spiritual cancer known to mankind. She should buy herself a copy of the Tanach.  

The new President spoke about the "five Torot" of YU in his inspiring investiture speech. Maybe the sixth Torah should be educating the students about the virutes of not succumbing to their nefesh habehemis

Did this girl go to a religious high school? To seminary in Israel? Does she believe in G-d? How many are there who think like her?  Why do they print such filth in their official newspaper? If it were my daughter writing that way I would rip kriyah [which is a tautology but that is besides the point]. 

I wouldn't care except for the fact that all Jews are responsible for each other and affect each other. If there is a hookup culture in YU then my soul and your soul are being contaminated by that whether we are aware of it or not. The whole world is affected.  

I post in order to maybe, maybe make the world a more pure place. It is an uphill battle but battle we will and battle we must.....

PS - I used to teach in a school where there was pressure to send the boys to YU and not to classical yeshivos [probably for financial reasons]. I wonder if there is a hookup culture in Ner Yisrael, Ohr Hachaim or Lakewood. I would guess not.... 

PPS - I skipped college. Shas and poskim are the best teachers. Parnassa? Nobody cares if I have a parnassa - why should I? Torah is the best schorah. Plus - plenty of people became very rich without a college education.