Monday, August 21, 2017

The Intellect And The Senses

When one learns, the goal is to satiate and nourish the intellect and the soul. What has become ubiquitous is that when you click on an article about any topic on the computer, Torah or otherwise, there is gong a to be picture of something. 

Why does it have to be this way?

First of all it gets on my nerves [as if anybody asked me:-)]. I want to read the words that my intellect is interested in and instead I am unwillingly met with a picture which is somehow supposed to satisfy me sense of sight's desire to enjoy looking at things and to entertain me. Sometimes the pictures are so inane. Like, if the article is about a kashrus question, there will be a picture of religious Jews eating. Have I never seen religious Jews eating? How does this contribute to my understanding of the issues at hand? It doesn't. It just delays my understanding.  If the article is about a Torah if Rebbe Nachman then there might be a picture of Breslovers dancing on a Tel Aviv street or in an airport in the Ukraine. Why do I need to see that?? What does that contribute??

Here is the answer: People enjoy it. Otherwise, every website wouldn't do it. But I think that it lowers the level of almost anything when something is being shown that will appeal even to a five year old. I love sefarim when there are no pictures, no fancy graphics, none of the trappings of the modern media, both print and social. Just WORDS that expand knowledge, insight and understanding.  

I put pictures on the blog on occasion because I think it is important to see pictures of tzadkim in order to connect to them or if I think that the image will help bring home a point. But the way of the modern media is that there HAS to be an image. Words are no longer enough.

חיים אנו בדור שטחי שבשטחי והרדידות חוגגת בכל פינה והדרך היחידה להילחם נגד התופעה היא לחדור לפנימיות החיים, לחפש את העומק בכל מצב ולהגביר את השכל על הדמיון.  

Do you want to join me?