Thursday, August 24, 2017

Giving To Worthy Causes

Baruch Hashem I was able to raise a few hundred dollars to print the Kuntres I was zocheh to write. But for perspective: A number of years ago, 44 million dollars were raised to combat a bill defining marriage as the union between a male and a female. 

There is a lot of money out there - it is a question of where it goes. In close to 25 years of trying to raise money either for poor people or for Torah or for poor people studying Torah, I can say that it is not easy. Strangely enough, the easiest "hits", those who give generously and consistently, are poor people with large families and low income. Very rich people with small families and huge incomes are - again only my experience - very difficult to get even a penny out of.

Generosity is less a function of wealth and more a function of belief. Those who are raised with an ethic of giving become givers. Those who are raised with the attitude that money I earn is mine and why should I give it away for nothing, are very stingy. 

I honest to G-d believe that givers are not only happier for eternity but right here in this world. Much scientific research has been conducted proving this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

So I bless us all that we should be zoche to be givers and not takers. And givers to causes more worthy than fighting a bill defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

"כי בגלל הדבר הזה יברכך ה' א-להיך"