Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The Wisdom And Wit of Ronald Reagan


The best of former President Reagan:

Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his. 

Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem. It isn’t so much that liberals are ignorant. It’s just that they know so many things that aren’t so. 

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. 

I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress. 

Thomas Jefferson once said, ‘We should never judge a president by his age, only by his works.’ And ever since he told me that, I stopped worrying. 

I’ve always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other. 

There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets the credit.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book.



"My fellow Americans. I'm pleased to announce that I've signed legislation outlawing the Soviet Union. We begin bombing in five minutes." -joking during a mike check before his Saturday radio broadcast.

"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?"

"I hope you're all Republicans." -speaking to surgeons as he entered the operating room following a 1981 assassination attempt

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."

"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency -- even if I'm in a Cabinet meeting."

"I am not worried about the deficit.
It is big enough to take care of itself."