Sunday, February 7, 2016

What Is More Important?

It was 1991 and I was learning in Chaim Berlin in Flatbush. The Giants were playing the Bills in the Super Bowl. I had a choice. Learning Torah [Maseches Gittin!] or watching  the game. 

I made a decision that impacted the rest of my life. 

I went to learn. 

This act symbolized, that strange as it may sound - spirituality, tradition, principles, obligations, beliefs etc. etc. are somehow more important to me than watching goyim spend three plus hours trying to knock each others already damaged brains out of their heads. 

I recently gave a gemara shiur somewhere and before delving into the nuances of the nature of the obligation to circumcise one's son, I tried to convince the young men that nothing bad will happen if they miss the game.

I don't think I convinced anyone... I, for one, am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt. 

טוב לי תורת פיך מאלפי זהב וכסף!!