Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Chauffeur's Tale


Two of Rabbi Yisrael Abuchatzira's daughters once went to Paris to participate in a family wedding. While staying there, they took a taxi to the city center to do some necessary shopping. As they were riding, they happened to discuss family matters. The cab driver could not help overhearing, and concluded that his two passengers were indeed daughters of the famous Baba Sali.
When they reached their destination and wished to pay, he refused to accept any money. The passengers looked at him strangely. "Why won't you take our money?" they asked in surprise.
"Because I always serve the members of Baba Sali's family for free. I would not dream of accepting anything from you."
"Why not? Do you have a personal reason for it?" they asked.
"I know that your father is a holy man, for I have first-hand experience to prove it. Ever since a miracle happened to me in his presence, I have been his ardent admirer. I am prepared to serve him and his family at all times."
He insisted on telling them what had happened:
"Many years ago, when I lived in Morocco, I served as the chauffeur of the president of our community in northern Morocco. Baba Sali, your father, was the guest of our community and when he wished to return to Arpud, the president offered to send him home in his new car with me, a distance of seven hundred and fifty kilometers.
"I was well familiar with the long road. I knew that we would be crossing desert most of the way and would be on our own. I, therefore, equipped myself with all we might possibly need along the way.
"After traveling for a few hours, I discovered that the motor was overheated. We would have to stop and wait until it cooled off. I was surprised that a new motor should have become overheated so quickly and opened the hood of the car to inspect it.
"To my dismay, I discovered that all the water had evaporated. Without water in the cooler to cool of the motor, we would not be able to continue on. Yet here we were, in the midst of a vast desert, stranded and helpless.
"I almost panicked, for the chances of finding water were nil and the chances of another car passing by, also close to zero. The prospect looked very bleak indeed.
"When your father saw my downcast expression, he stepped out of the car and asked what was the matter. I described our situation to him and urged him to get back into the car if he did not want to bake in the blazing sun. I climbed in myself, seeing that there was nothing to be done.
"The saintly Baba Sali sat down inside the car and sank in deep thought. A few moments later, he turned to me and said, 'Get out and start walking forward for about two hundred meters. There, on the right side of the road, you will find a spring of fresh water.'
"'That cannot be,' I said. 'I know this area very well; I travel it frequently and I am certain that there is no well in the entire vicinity.'
"R' Yisrael insisted that I do what he advised. I dared not be disrespectful and decided to humor him. I started walking in the hot sun. After a few moments of walking, I discovered, to my utter astonishment, a fresh spring of cool, clear water gushing by the side of the road.
"As you can imagine, I was overjoyed. I quenched my thirst and then filled a large container of water which I brought back with me to the car.
"R' Yisrael greeted me with a smile. He didn't say anything, but his eyes had an 'I-told-you-so' look. I poured some water for him. He recited the blessing over it movingly and drank his fill. I poured the water into the cooler and within a few moments, we were ready to continue on our way.
"Before we began driving, however, I went to the spring and erected a sturdy signpost above it so that I would be able to find the spot in the future and so that others could enjoy it as well.
"The rest of the journey continued uneventfully and we reached Arpud without mishap. I took my leave of R' Yisrael heartily and set out for the long return trip home.
"All along the way, I kept on thinking about the marvelous spring. When I neared the spot, I decided to stop and take a drink of its cool, refreshing water.
"I approached the place. It was distinguishable by the signpost I had erected there. I stopped the car, got out and approached it, full of excitement.
"I looked for the spring - but it was gone! I searched high and low for a long time, but it had vanished. There was no sign of it to be found anywhere!
"I returned to the car very disappointed. But then, throughout the long ride, I thought about the spring. I had plenty of time to digest the miracle that I had experienced firsthand. I realized that Baba Sali was so holy, the Al-mighty had created a spring of water in the midst of the desert especially for him, to save him from perishing.
"From that time on," concluded the taxi driver, "I became an ardent admirer of Baba Sali. I consider it a great honor to be able to be of some service to him or to anyone in his family."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Adapted by Yrachmiel Tilles from "Rabbenu Yisrael Abuchatzira" by A.Y. Hare (Saba-Fujie Publ), as translated by Sheindel Weinbach. from ascentof safed]