Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Public Response

To respond to a few emails:

The rabbeim are trying their best and are very dedicated. They are also underpaid and self-sacrificing. They forego lucarative careers to pass on the holy torch. 

The parents are often negligent in properly conveying to their children what it means to be Jewish but the truth is that they have no idea themselves so it is hard to blame them. I have spoken to thousands of American parents and they all sound basically alike on certain matters. Their focus on material and professional success even at the expense of spiritual growth is a common thread. Hence, one and no more than two [half] years in Yeshiva vs. no less that three in college and preferably grad school and more. EVERYTHING is about money. Welcome to the USA. That being said, most parents are very likable and every one I meet has many positive qualities that I lack. I will leave the judging to Hashem and instead focus my efforts on loving them. Every Jew deserves to be loved. 

Where should one send one's kids to school/yeshiva? Very simple - a place where the students leave 12th grade with many masechtos under their belt combined with yiras shomayim and a basic understanding that being Jewish is more important than being rich. [I am not in favor of being poor - despite my own personal situation. My point is that money is not everything. Everyone must make a living - the more the better - but that doesn't mean that he should remain illiterate].