Wednesday, September 23, 2015

In Memory Of Yogi Berra - 1925-2015

“You can observe a lot just by watching,” he is reputed to have declared once, describing his strategy as a manager.

“If you can’t imitate him,” he advised a young player who was mimicking the batting stance of the great slugger Frank Robinson, “don’t copy him.”

“When you come to a fork in the road, take it,” he said, giving directions to his house. Either path, it turned out, got you there. [I quoted this in a shiur today without knowing he had just died].
 
 
“Nobody goes there anymore,” he said of a popular restaurant. “It’s too crowded.”
 
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there."
 
"You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you."
 
"Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets."

"He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."

"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question."

 “Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.”

“Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?” -Carmen Berra, Yogi’s wife. “Surprise me.” – Yogi

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did."

."It ain't the heat, it's the humility."