Saturday, September 19, 2015

Brighten Someone's Day


A remarkable occurence that I witnessed with the two blue eyes I have thanks to Hashem, mom and dad.

 

Thanks Hashem, mom and dad for my eyes!! Couldn't see a thing without them. They mean as much and more to me than my glasses. 

 

This Shabbos I witnessed a well known Rov, a gadol bi-torah and tzidkus, who was walking down a Jerusalem street when he passed by an older man walking very slowly and being helped by a younger man [ostensibly his son]. He smiled and turned to the man and said [in yiddish] with tremendous excitement [as if this man was some celebrity] something to the effect of "It is so great to see a smiling Jew before Yom Kippur!! [The Jew hadn't been smiling - he actually looked quite in distress]. I wish you an amazing new year filled with many brachos." He shook the man's hand warmly [and the son wanted a piece so he stuck out his hand and got a handshake as well] and continued on his way. The elderly man asked the younger man who the Rabbi was. The younger man said his name and he nodded in recognition.

 This scene shook me to my core.

We [at least I] are not on his learning level. For that I would have to learn continuously for a thousand years and I still wouldn't be close. [I can't imagine how long it would take me just to learn the Minchas Chinuch by heart - and that is just the tip of the iceberg]. But we CAN stop and brighten the day of total strangers. However, we generally choose not to for various reasons - maybe we are self-conscious or self- absorbed or "self" other things but the bottom line is the concept of "self".

The greatest thing we can do is STEP OUT OF OUR WORLD OF SELF [and "selfies" for that matter] and focus on what we can do to brighten up someone else's day. We ALL have that power.

Let's do it.