Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Dedication To Shmiras Shabbos

Despite his isolation from mainstream Orthodox communities, Sam Goldish was committed to keeping a Torah way of life in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Sam did all he could to pass his commitment on to his children. One of the most important mitzvahs for Sam and his family was Shabbos. Sam realized that the only way his children and his children’s children would remain loyal to Judaism, was through keeping Shabbos. Keeping Shabbos would help ensure that Sam’s children would marry Jewish, because Shabbos precluded his children’s participation in Church socials, etc., which often took place on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons.

There was one particular incident which typified Sam strictness with Shabbos observance. Once, Sam needed to sell a boat. He put an ad in the local paper, describing the excellent condition of the vehicle and asking $7500. The advertisement did not provoke very much interest. Only a small handful of people bothered calling to find out more information. Of those who did show interest, just one, a man named Stan, made him an offer. But the amount he offered was much less that the amount Sam had wanted to sell it for. Sam was in a quandary. Should he take the offer? He really needed the money. But there didn’t seem to be much interest in his boat. Perhaps it would be best to take what he could get. Reluctantly, Sam agreed to Stan’s price. “But I have one I stipulation,” Sam told him. “I want you to give me a certified check from the bank.”

Stan looked a bit uneasy. “Uh, okay. Look, I’ll get back to you on it.” But the week went by with no further word from him. It was Shabbos afternoon and Sam was savoring the Cholent when there was a knock on the door. Sam found the prospective buyer Stan standing on the doorstep with a big smile on his face. “Look, I brought you your bank check!”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Sam said, “but today is my Sabbath, and I can’t do business now.”“Oh, come on. I don’t need you to do anything. Here, I’ll just put the check down. I’ll take care of removing the boat myself. How’s that?” But Sam Goldish stood firm. “I’m sorry, but I can’t take care of it right now. You’ll have to come back tonight…”

Stan grew angry. “What’s the matter with you? I have your check, and you’re not willing to accommodate me! Well, forget it then. I won’t come back at all!” With that, he left. Sam refused to let the incident ruin his Shabbos; he enjoyed his Cholent and the rest of the holy day.

Motzei Shabbos (Saturday night), the phone rang.    

"Hi, I’m calling about the ad for the boat. Is it still available?” "It sure is. You’re welcome to come over and see it,” said Sam.
           
A short time later, two men had arrived to look at the boat. After circling the vehicle a few times, they decided they were interested in buying it for the full amount that Sam had wanted. They gave Sam the money, took the boat and left.        

"Stan," a family member later said, "spells Satan, if you use Hebrew letters to write the name. The Satan wanted to test you, to see if you were willing to compromise the holiness of Shabbos." This incident strengthened the family’s belief in holiness of Shabbos. And although Sam Goldish has left this world, his legacy lives on in his children and children’s children.

(Visions of Greatness, Rabbi Yosef Weiss, Volume 3 p.64)


My children are his great grandchildren.....