Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Costumes In October - Hydrated Hair - Jews Are One People


Usually when I am in the States I enjoy sharing stories of my travels and experiences. I have done little of that this time. I have been focused on various "things". But still, here are some notes with a mussar haskel.

1] This Leil Shabbos, I noticed on my way to shul in Manhattan that everybody was all dressed up - but not for Shabbos:-). Reminded me of this old post....

 I walked into the elevator tonight and I saw children in Purim costumes. I thought "This is strange. Purim in the middle of Cheshvan!"

Then it occurred to me why the costumes. "Is it halloweeeenn?" I inquired in a loud and dramatic voice.

"Yesssss" the kids answered me.

So I first looked at the little 6 year old or so girl. "What are YOU dressed up as?"

"A fairy".

"A FAIRY!!" I cried out. "Of course!" I then slapped my forehead as if my thick brain was at fault for not figuring out something so obvious.

I then turned to the bigger girl. "What are YOU dressed up as?" Truth be told, I didn't like her costume and she didn't seem the congenial sort.

"A vampire."

"OHHHHH, A VAAAAMMMMPIRE!!!"

Then I turned to the cute two year old or so boy being held by his mother and asked "What are YOU?"

His mother answered as if I had just come down from Mars and asked the most klutz kasha, "He's an astronaut".

"AN ASTRONAUT!!! OF COURSE! AND THE CUTEST ASTRONAUT AROUND!!!!".

Everyone in the elevator laughed. They certainly were not expecting this whole production when I entered the elevator holding my pocket shev shmatsa.

"You know what IIIII am dressed up as?" I asked everyone and no one in particular.

I, wearing my hat, dark suit, beard and dark coat, continued. "A RAAAAABBBIIIII!!".

This was met with laughter. They obviously felt that I am not worthy of being a Rabbi. That requires vast knowledge, sterling qualities, fear of Heaven and behavior that constitutes an example for all. What a funny costume for a guy like me.

I couldn't agree more.....:-)


2] Today I walked by some establishment that featured a big sign offering to "hydrate" my hair. 43 years and my hair has never "dehydrated" so I am going to test my luck and see if things continue without any special treatments:-).

3] My upstairs neighbor, a very nice gentleman whom I have known just about my whole life, unfortunately passed away. I keep going up to daven with the family and I am so impressed by the non-stop stream of visitors they have. Jews are an amazing people, how we are so together in times of joy or the opposite. Even the elevator man was impressed. He mentioned all of the other shivas in the last few years and how many people came to console the mourners. What do goyim do without shiva? And Shabbos? And Yuntiv? And the newly married couple coming out of the yichud room to the tune of Rocky followed by Od Yishama??

Nu - gotta have extra kavana for she-lo asani...