Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Million Bucks Or A Tarnished Penny - A Great Nation

From my diary....

My trip is coming to a close. I learned Baruch Hashem quite a bit. About myself, about other people, about life etc.etc. and primarily my experiences reinforced what I already know. I learned who is a friend and who pretends to be a friend. I learned who is truly kind and who is "too busy". B-kitzur, i learned a lot.

I had experiences which were humbling and experiences which would possibly threaten to give me a larger sense of self-importance than is good for me. I think there was actually an nice balance. Some people making me feel like a million bucks and others like a tarnished penny. The truth of course is that my self worth has zero to do with what people think of me or how much they show me that I matter. There is something inherently special about every human being and even more special about a Jew. People's show of respect or lack thereof have no bearing on what is essentially true. On the other hand, Avraham's proclamation of אנכי עפר ואפר is a valuable psychological tool to keep one healthy in mind and soul. I have felt both and for that I am blessed.

I am also blessed with amazing friends. I can't believe how giving people are. I was invited to so many meals that I shouldn't have to eat again for a year. People opened up their homes to me and took me out to various restaurants never letting me swipe my credit card. I am so fortunate since I don't have a credit card. But they wouldn't even let me pay cash. I hope that when I marry off my children imy"H, the caterer is that generous:-).

I was also given so many rides. People gave of their time efforts and gas in order to get me where I wanted to be. מי כעמך ישראל!

If I could choose to be a member of any group in the world there is no doubt that I would choose Am Yisrael. A nation of rachmanim bnei rachmanin. A genetic reality. I should be zoche to faithfully carry out our mission of doing good for others and have the health, means and life span to do so in a big way.