Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Knowing The Shepherd

An apocryphal story from an article sent by a beloved friend:

Years ago in London, a poetry recital was taking place in a large auditorium. The finalists in the competition were given one last poem to recite – the twenty third Psalm. The obvious winner was a young gentleman whose rendition of the Psalm was perfect. “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want… He restores my soul… and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” The audience responded with thunderous applause.

Suddenly, an elderly, Eastern European Jew called out, “Judges! Vould it be alright if I hed a chence to say de Psalm?” The judges were amused and invited him up to the stage. In his heavy accent, the gentleman made his way through the kapitel (chapter). A reverent hush fell over the crowd, and many people were moved to tears. The winner received his prize but followed the old man out to the street.

“Rabbi, you know that you really deserve the prize.”

“Not at all,” he responded. “I vasn’t competing. You deed a fine job and it belongs ta you.”

The young man continued: “But rabbi, perhaps you could explain to me why it is that when I concluded the Psalm the audience cheered, but when you concluded many people were crying?” The alter Yid replied:

“The difference between you and me ..... is dat I know de Shepherd.”

Which reminded me of another apocryphal story.....

There was once a boy standing on the beach who was flying a kite. The boy was asked why he is flying the kite all alone and not with his friends. He explained that there was a ship at sea and he was flying the kite as a way of saying hello and greeting the captain of the ship. The person asked him why he assumes that the captain notices it. 

The boy answered - "The captain is my father".

What people lack so sorely is that personal relationship with our Father.