Thursday, July 3, 2014

Is A Dime More Valuable Than A Huge Farm?

There is a huge machlokes in the Rishonim whther one can marry a woman by giving her land. On one hand - why not! Land is nice. I know a few girls who would appreciate a plot of land as a gift. The mishna says - כסף and שוה כסף. Land is not money but it is worth money - so let them be married!! Where is that glass to break??!

But the Ran quotes the Baal Ha-ittur who says that שוה כסף only works for movable property but not land. So if I gave a girl a dime or a chocolate bar for kiddushin - we are married. But if I give her my 7000 acre farm in Herzlia - we are not. Is there a svara there?? Can my puny brain grasp this? No...

Why is land not שוה כסף?? The Baal Ha-ittur doesn't tell us.

Ask your local Orthodox Rabbi.....:-).

לזכות נעכא גיטל בת רחל אסתר לזרעא חייא וקיימא זרעא די לא יפסוק ולא יבטול מפתגמי אורייתא