Thursday, June 19, 2014

Hitchhiking

As a result of the absolutely heartrending story with the three boys, there has been much talk about the dangers of hitching [טרמפים in the modern parlance]. The reality is that it is faaaaar more dangerous [statistically] to cross a street or to eat Pizza and drink Coke than it is to hitch.

I live outside Jerusalem in a small village called Givat Zeev. Once a week I find myself in Jerusalem after the last bus has already long passed. I have a number of options.

I could walk seven hours home in the dark. Naaaaa.

I can find a random Beis Medrash that is open and sit there all night trying to learn. But then I don't sleep and I am not an angel. I get tired.

I can take a taxi home and spend far more than I can afford. I would rather use the money for groceries. I am very wealthy in that I have a family, good health and a life filled with meaning but not in gelt. Taxis are for people with wallets. I once lost my wallet [in a taxi actually..:-) or so it seems] and never got another one. I found that I spend far less money when I don't carry around any with me.

I can knock on someone's door and ask to stay over. At 1:00am???

I can hitch a ride home and make sure the driver is a Jew [like by asking him before I get in what masechta Eilu Metzios is in or how many brachos there are in the Amida] before I get in. The reality is that almost nobody ever stops making it a not so attractive option. And when they do stop - who is ever going to Givat Zeev.

So what do I do? I am stuck....

Not important.

What IS important is that the three boys should return home safely.

U-fduyei Hashem yeshuvun uva-oo li-tzion bi-rina!!!