Monday, February 10, 2014

Ego-less

I have heard two people in my life independently make the claim that they totally and utterly obliterated and erased their respective egos.

This may sound unbelievable but they are probably the two biggest egomaniacs that I have ever encoutered...:-). Really. The fact that their self-perception is so distorted is another proof that they [and most other people] could greatly benefit from therapy. When a person is ill and doesn't go to the doctor  - the illness often just gets worse.

EVERYBODY has an ego. I have one, too. If I didn't then I wouldn't write this blog and probably wouldn't have gotten out of bed this morning either. We have an ego because we need it. But that is a subject for another post. The Heilige Baal Hatoldos Rav Yaakov Yosef of Polania says that we get drunk on Purim because the only time we are ego-less is when inebriated. So stated the expert of the human psyche and prized student of the Heilige Baal Shem.

Once we are aware of our ego and its machinations we must manipulate it for the good. That also requires a long discussion for which I haven't the time [that expression ALSO requires analysis - but not now].

In the meantime I will let you think about it