Monday, January 20, 2014

Speak Up

Scene One:

In my youth, I was quite the college football fan. My favorite team was the Penn State Nittany Lions, led by their legendary coach, the late [great? we'll see...] Joe Paterno. He had a magnificent reputation as a coach, leader and molder of young men.

Until.

Until the big scandal with such a big rasha that I don't even want to mention his name. One of his assistant coaches had repeatedly abused little boys and it was revealed that "JoePa" [as he was known] was aware of the behavior but concealed it in order to protect the football program. He was ignominiously fired in his mid 80's by the university for his silence and tacit approval of the criminal and evil behavior of his assistant. He will forever be remembered more for this tragic story than he will for all of his successes and good deeds.

Scene two:

In the Orthodox community we had a similar story. Prominent, storied leader and guide who accomplished so much in his life, both in the scholarly and administrative realms, who was forced to step down [also in his mid 80's] after it was revealed that he knew about but covered up the immoral behavior of his employees. He, too, will sadly be remembered for this and that will overshadow the tremendous good he brought to the world [he lived nearby so I know him personally and genuinely admire, like and respect him].

Striking parallel.

Scene three:

I was once in a room with a few dozen rabbonim and educators. I said something which one of the more prominent personalities in the room didn't like. He proceeded to lambast me and fry me alive, in hysteric tones. He took a general comment I made personally, assuming I was attacking him, when in fact I had no such intentions. That was clear from my comments and everybody in the room knew that. I try to stand up for myself but was shouted down by him. Nobody said a word in my defense. Afterwards people approached me personally, told me how wrong he was and that they wanted to say something, but..... Nu, it should be a kappara:-).

Some time later this person said in front of a crowd that he "forgives me" [I never asked for it and considered it another indication of his extreme emotional imbalance to forgive someone for something that he never did]. He said that he read a non-Jewish book about the powers of forgiveness and thought that it would be good for his soul to forgive me.

Again, nobody said a word.

Then he took it back and said that he doesn't forgive me after all and never will:-).

Lesson: When you see injustice - PROTEST! Speak up. Don't let it pass by with no reaction. Ultimately, there is a price to pay for silence.

Remember the world. The world didn't speak up when Jews were being slaughtered by the millions [not that I am comparing that to the three case scenarios mentioned above to the magnitude of the Holocaust, but the same principal applies - when one sees evil or injustice everything must be done to stop it].

That is my opinion. Am I wrong??