Monday, July 29, 2013

An Unlikely Tzadik

My friend Reb Yoel Weisberg who recently passed away used to talk about his doctor. Reb Yoel had a very rare blood disease from which he suffered for almost thirty years until it got the better of him and he went to a place where there is no blood and no disease. His doctor's name was Dr. Ayalew Tefferi. Why am I telling you about him?

He is an Ethiopian born doctor who is the world's number one hematologist. Reb Yoel used to bombard him with emails asking questions about his condition. The very busy doctor answered EVERY ONE WITHIN FIVE MINUTES!!

Reb Yoel wanted to somehow repay him. The doctor said something to the effect of "I don't want anything from you. I just want you to get better."

When he came to Israel for a yearly medical convention in Herzlia, Reb Yoel used to ask each time if he could come see him [Reb Yoel refused to go to chutz la-aretz for treatment]. One year the doctor told him "You don't have to ask anymore. You can always come. You are like a brother to me."

Sweetest friends - Yidden should only have such good middos. If I would put labels on my posts, this one would be labeled "Tzadik story". Just this tzadik is a goy with who is בן אחר בן descended from חם.....:-).