Wednesday, July 10, 2013

3000

Morris and Daniel, two up and coming Jewish authors, were always bragging how well each was doing, trying to one up each other. They meet up again at Jewish Book Fair and Morris says, "So nu, Daniel, how are you doing? Are your books selling well?"
"Oh yes Morris, they definitely are," replies Daniel, boasting. "Since we last met, the number of my readers has doubled."
"Mazel tov Daniel," says Morris. "You didn't tell me that you got married!"
 
A milestone.
 
This is my 3000th post on Mevakesh. This is not just a random number for Shlomo Hamelech spoke, according to the pasuk, שלשת אלפים משל - three thousand proverbs [מלכים א ה יב]. In Major League Baseball, li-havdil, there are a group of players who belong to a distinguished club called the 3000 hit club. Actually, Roberto Clemente got exactly 3000 hits in his career. Roberto was involved in charity work in Puerto Rico and other Latin American countries during the off seasons, often delivering baseball equipment and food to those in need. He died in an aviation accident on December 31, 1972, while en route to deliver aid to earthquake victims in Nicaragua. So he died trying to do a mitzva. 3000 is a chashuv number:-).

I only have written so much because I know people are reading. What is so special about the blog is that it is Torah, mussar and chassidus in a forum where anybody can learn and read it anywhere at any time. The blog averages about 500 hits a day. If I wanted to give a shiur I could also get five hundred people but it would mean that I would have to give about 250 shiurim....
 
My most fervent desire is to spread Torah, Yiras Shomayim and Middos Tovos and through the responses I have received over the years it seems that Baruch Hashem I have been successful to a certain degree. I still hope one day to spread Torah in a non-virtual form as well but if this is what Hashem has sent me for now - then it is perfect.
 
So I thank you my dear readers for coming along with me and allowing us to be partners in spreading the light. May Hashem bless you all with many more healthy, happy years.