Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Candy Wrapper And Kedushas Ha-aretz


Rabbi Aryeh Ginzberg from the 5 Towns Jewish Times:


More then 40 years ago, as a young teenager one month past my 16th birthday, I made my first trip to Eretz Yisroel to learn in Yeshiva Chofetz Chaim of Yerushalayim, and which turned into a prolonged visit of 16 months. The thing that I remember the most about that unforgettable experience that had shaped my love for Eretz Yisroel in both heart and soul, was one particular “shmuz” given by my Rebbe HaRav Moshe Chait ZT”L. He was a gifted and inspiring orator, but there is one shmuz that is forever etched in my soul, that I hear again and again in my head each time I step off the plane in Eretz Yisroel.
One day, a few boys from the Yeshiva were returning from the basketball court a few blocks away and hadn’t noticed that Rav Chait ZT”L happened to be walking to Yeshiva for Mincha about 10 feet behind them. One of the boys opened a chocolate bar that he had in his pocket and without giving much thought tossed the wrapper onto the sidewalk. As soon as Mincha concluded, the Mashgiach banged on the Shulchan and said that everyone should gather around and that Rav Chait ZT”L wanted to address the student body at that time. This was highly unusual, as Rav Chait’s talks were limited to twice a week and we wondered what is the emergency that warrants this special “shmuz.” Rav Chait stood up and with tears in his eyes and in a quivering voice speaking with such passion that I had never heard before or after, shared his pain that a Bochur from his Yeshiva threw a candy wrapper onto the street in Yerushalayim Ir Hakodesh in Artzeinu Hakodesha. He continued for an hour on a passionate explanation what Kedushas Haaretz is and how we have to feel the special Brocho of Eretz Yisroel in every waking moment of our day and how could a true Yiddishe Neshomo be so callous as to sully the streets of Yerushalayim. I have never forgotten that Drasha, it’s words, it’s passion and most importantly, it’s message.