Sunday, June 30, 2013

How To Beat The Yetzer

I have this really effective strategy for how to save money. It NEVER fails!:-)

I leave the house with little or no money in my pocket. If I don't have it - I don't spend it.... [If you use this method and carry a credit card, it won't work, so leave the credit card at home also]. Today I have to go to town and there are all these things I want to buy but I am planning on using this strategy once again. I trust that it will be effective once again.

Why am I telling you this???

Because it is a metaphor for many areas of life. We ALL have a yetzer hara that brings us down. The way to beat it is to make sure that it is not within arms reach.

Example: You like to watch TV but realize that it is a waste of perfectly valuable brain cells that can be used for much more useful endeavors. But it is hard to have a TV in front of your face and not to turn it on. If you don't have a TV around then it will be much easier to avoid watching.

Another example: You like ice cream but realize that you are getting fatter  slowly increasing your midsection's dominance over your delicate bodily balance. So DON'T BUY ICE CREAM. If you don't have it in the house - you are much less likely to eat it. But, if you open up the freezer and a delicious tub of vanilla swirl is seductively looking at you, the odds of you containing yourself are slim [at least something is slim. Hehehehehe:)].

Last example: You are constantly checking your blackberry and phone for emails, texts and the like. You need some peace of mind. OK - this is going to be tough. Hold on.

Leave your devices at home when you have to go somewhere. No, chas vi-shalom! Not every time. Once in a while. You will find out something remarkable: Nothing will happen. No harm done. Just more menuchas hanefesh for you:-).

Try it and tell me what happens.

Love and blessings!