Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"B"


A question that I heard yeeeeaaarsss ago that has been bothering me ever since..... We say שהחזרת בי נשמתי - You returned my neshama to me - בי. That implies that there is a "me" to which Hashem give a neshama. But isn't "me" the neshama? It can't mean the body for that is not the real me. The word for body גוף comes from the word מגופה - container. My body is just a container!! [Imagine-  many boys are interested in meeting only girls who have attractive "containers" and are pleasant to look at. It is like buying a breakfast cereal primarily because the box has nice pictures....] So how can I call this container "me"??

Apparently Maran HaRav ztz"l was ALSO troubled by this. Let us hear how he explains this conundrum: מורה על העצמיות המיוחדה של האדם ותוכן החיים הטבעיים שלו. העצמיות הזאת היא שמורה עמו, והיא נשארת בקיומה גם בעת השינה. ועצמיות האדם הזאת היא הבסיס לקבל עליה את האור העליון של הנשמה, בשובה אליו להאיר אותו באורה.

There is a part of our neshama, our essential self, that remains with us even in our sleep. When we awaken, the elevated, celestial light of our neshama descends and shines its rays of holiness on our basic fundamental self. So the בי is ALSO the neshama. Hashem's restores the neshama [the elevated heavenly part] to the neshama [the internal, very personal part].

 בי - מעמקי הנשמה, הריכוז היותר פנימי ויותר כללי - עי' ר"מ קלב