Sunday, May 19, 2013

Religious And Secular Studies: A Dichotomy Or The Road To Spiritual Perfection

A beloved friend forwarded me an article [and I THANK HIM] in the Jerusalem Post written by a student of HaRav Aharon Lichtenstein Shlita. Rav Lichtenstein has reached the milestone of 80 years on Hashem's earth and his students are coming out in throngs to show their appreciation.

I never studied at his Yeshiva [well actually I did - I spent a Shabbos or two there when I was younger, but I don't think that counts...] but I am more than impressed. To have taught thousands of students who profess such love and appreciation for their Rebbi is no small feat. I have never heard a negative word about him, which is rare in our highly critical world of seeking flaws in others. He also doesn't draw people in by the power of empty charisma or special oratory skills as do some others in the religious world. It is purely because he just knows clearly and deeply, gemara, rishonim [he doesn't seem so "into" achronim] and philosophy accompanied by very refined character traits and yiras shomayim. The many volumes of his shiurim that have been published are just a drop in the ocean. Who am I even to speak about him as he is so beyond my level.

He also has a very specific hashkafa which is devoutly followed by his many students and student's students. I am not going to disagree with him because I am not qualified. I merely follow my Rabbeim and I am sure if I would ask him if it is a good idea to follow my Rabbeim he would passionately affirm that it is [although he might suggest that I find different Rabbeim - or maybe not]. I could take passages from his writings and present my questions but that wouldn't be fair because he is not going to answer and it may look like I have disproved him which wouldn't be respectful if he is not given a chance to write a rebuttal.

That being said - I will quote a passage from the Jerusalem Post article written by a student of his and will suggest what I thinks cuts to the core of the two basic approaches in Jewish education today.

 Since moving to Israel from America more than forty years ago, Rabbi Lichtenstein has taught the highest-level Talmud, halacha and philosophy to his tens of thousands of students. He did so while simultaneously validating their service in the IDF as a religious obligation and their subsequent pursuits of university education as a natural outgrowth of their religious personalities. Himself a former professor of English literature, he has taught that intellectual openness is a hallmark of true Orthodoxy, alongside single-minded devotion to Torah study and adherence to halachic boundaries and values.

I see an internal contradiction here. How can one have a "single-minded devotion to Torah study" if he also studies other wisdom's [li-havdil]. Herein lies the difference of opinion. The "Charedi" world maintains that one must have a single-minded devotion to Torah study, which precludes any serious foray into secular studies [if not for the sake of a profession - and even that is debated]. The Modern Orthodox world maintains that one must intensely study both religious and secular studies.

The results [as I see them] are as follows: The Charedi world produces extremely knowledgeable students of Torah who are similarly committed to halacha. The down side is that they don't have the education and skills to earn a living [with many exceptions] causing rampant poverty which is a Pandora's box for a whole host of other problems.

The Modern Orthodox world produces many students who are ignorant of basic Jewish knowledge and unable to independently understand Jewish texts [I refer to the American scene - in Israel it is better but I still see a gap between the learning level of what is called the "Dati Leumi" world and their Charedi counterparts. OF COURSE there are many Dati Leumi and Modern Orthodox talmidei chachomim. I am referring to the majority]. The up side is that they are equipped to learn a profession and earn a living. Earning a living and supporting a family is a MITZVA and religious obligation no less that making a bracha before eating or not talking during davening. [This issue of going to the army is also two-sided: Great mitzva to protect the land, great difficulties in maintaning religiosity. I have a lot to say on this topic but maybe for another time].

[It is interesting that very similar criticism to that which I am writing here was leveled by the Eastern European Rabbonim again the approach of Rav Hirsch combining Torah with Derech Eretz [i.e. secular education]. Germany, they said, produces religious Jews but not gedolei Torah.]

I feel that both communities are at once sorely lacking and also have admirable qualities. Wherever one chooses to educate his child he must know that he is losing out in one area or another. I made my decision as to what I am ready to forgo and what I am not. It is painful but so is life...:).

If every person who follows his path would be of his spiritual caliber and learn as well as he does - I too would send my children to Harvard to get doctorates. But he is a sparkling exception to the rule.

I conclude with my bracha the the Rav should live many more happy and healthy years and merit to embody the pasuk about one who learns and teaches Torah - אורך ימים בימינה ובשמאלה עושר וכבוד. Long life, wealth and honor.