Monday, May 20, 2013

Mother's Day Wish

Mitch Albom in The Detroit Free Press:

She said "Come here baby"
And I reached for her.
She said, "Open wide!"
And I ate.
She sang, "Rock a bye ..."
And I slept for her.
She said, "See? All better."
And my crying stopped.
*** 
She said, "Finish eating."
And I scowled at her.
She said, "Clean your room."
And I fumed.
She said, "Put it back."
And I whined at her.
She said, "You're going!"
I screamed, "No, I'm not!"
***
She said, "I'll be waiting."
So I entered the grade school.
She said, "I'll be here."
So I got on the bus.
She said, "I'll be right outside."
So I sat for the dentist.
She said, "I'll have ice cream."
So I let my tonsils go.
***
She said, "Be back before supper."
I ignored her.
She said, "Don't play with that boy."
I ignored her again.
She said, "Turn out the lights."
I snuck them back on.
She said, "Don't use that language."
But I still do.
***
She said, "Kiss your grandma."
I replied, "Do I have to?"
She said, "Stand up straight."
I replied, "Why?"
She said, "Show respect."
I replied, "I am!"
She said, "You can do better."
So I tried.
***

She said, "You have to study."
So I studied in high school.
She said, "You'll go to college."
Naturally, I went.
She said, "My cup runneth over."
When she stood at my wedding.
She said, "I believe in you."
No matter what came next.
***
She said all these expressions,
"Love your family ... be kind ..."
"Make your spouse your best friend."
And "creative minds are rarely tidy."
She advised me to "be ready."
I was ready until this day.
She said, "I'll always love you ..."
Then her voice went away.
***
She stares at me now
When I say, "Hiya, Mommy!"
She's a curious child
When I say, "It's your son."
There's a wheelchair beneath her
So I can't say, "Let's go."
The strokes left her fragile
Hidden inside.
***
So I say, "Come here, Mother."
And she reaches for me.
I say, "Open wide."
And she eats.
I say, "I'll always love you."
Like she always told me.
And I hide my greatest Mother's Day wish.
To hear her say something -- anything -- again.