Monday, March 18, 2013

The Psychology Of Cyberspace


My good friend D.R. linked me to an interesting site that discusses the psychology of cyberspace. Among what I saw there was the following:

 While online a person's status in the face-to-face world may not be known to others and it may not have as much impact as it does in the face-to-face world. If people can't see you or your surroundings, they don't know if you are the president of a major corporation sitting in your expensive office, or some "ordinary" person lounging around at home in front of the computer. Even if people do know something about your offline status and power, that elevated position may have little bearing on your online presence and influence. In most cases, everyone on the internet has an equal opportunity to voice him or herself. Everyone - regardless of status, wealth, race, gender, etc. - starts off on a level playing field. Although one's status in the outside world ultimately may have some impact on one's powers in cyberspace, what mostly determines your influence on others is your skill in communicating (including writing skills), your persistence, the quality of your ideas, and your technical know-how.

People are reluctant to say what they really think as they stand before an authority figure. A fear of disapproval and punishment from on high dampens the spirit. But online, in what feels like a peer relationship - with the appearances of "authority" minimized - people are much more willing to speak out or misbehave.

According to traditional Internet philosophy, everyone is an equal: Peers share ideas and resources. In fact, the net itself is engineered with no centralized control. As it grows, with a seemingly endless potential for creating new environments, many people see themselves as independent-minded explorers. This atmosphere and philosophy contribute to the minimizing of authority.


I will share my experience. I used to learn with boys in a yeshiva. Given my job, the fact that I was older and wore a hat, dark suit and had a beard, the boys would refer to me deferentially as "Rav" or "Rebbi" etc. I am not saying I deserved it but that was the way it was. [I no longer have such a position and although I hope to return to a yeshiva at some point in the future, I have never been happier in my life. BBBAAAARUUUCH HASHEEEEMMM.] If I would talk to a boy - he would never ignore me or pretend he didn't hear. But when I send the same boy an email, he WILL ignore me or pretend he didn't hear. I am no longer a Rebbi - I am just like an advertisement for foot spray! 

How interesting:):)!!