Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Unforgivable

Sent by my beloved friend R' Shmuel Simcha Kollander
I was in the midst of a private and uninterruptable meeting.
I had planned this appointment for a long time and was not about to be disturbed.
It was a meeting with a genuine ‘Shaker and Mover’; a force who had the power to affect my destiny.
I had a text prepared to keep me focused and my mind was intent on making the most of the brief six to seven minutes allotted to the meeting.
Apparently word must have leaked about my meeting as I was asked by others if I could bring up at the meeting some of their needs as well.
Time was of the essence and I had to stay at task.
Finally, the meeting began; I lowered my head, took a deep breath and began ‘my pitch’.
I had the benefit of utilizing the best authored ‘pitches’ known to man.
My father and grandfather had used the same text and had always found it effective.
Although I was somewhat nervous I was simultaneously confident.
The words began to flow from my mouth.
I felt a connection with my superior in a meaningful way.
I could tell that we were bonding and that He was listening.
I continued, as I recited the words slowly and with heartfelt meaning, I knew He was there; I knew he was listening to each and every word.
I continued to implore and plead; I began to mention the needs of those who had entrusted with me their deepest and darkest secrets to share with Him.
Suddenly he came.
He sounded like an invader from a foreign world; an uninvited interloper; an alien enemy.
He would not stop his intrusion until he succeeded in destroying the sanctity of my meeting.
He would not be silenced nor even quieted; he just continued his incessant prattle until I was totally debilitated and destroyed.
And then, after I was crushed and humiliated, he left.
However, in his wake he left me trembling and pained; disoriented and lost.
I was not his only victim.
He succeeded in disrupting the entire assembly.
I noticed men and women, young boys and girls who were now wondering helplessly and hopelessly in the meeting chambers.
Their concentration and chain of thought had been disconnected through his hideous and violating behavior.
Grown men were teary eyed and women cried openly as they realized their one and only opportunity to present their case had been destroyed and ruined.
They came to plead and to be heard by He who can hear and help; however, they left feeling angry and cheated by he who cares for no one.
His attacks are vicious and cowardly; indeed, he chooses his time to attack when all are in the midst of the meeting; at the time when no one can even respond to him.
My meeting was devastated.
My attempts at petitioning were stymied.
I stood silently and helplessly and could just wonder what could have been and wasn’t.
How many people could have been helped and will now be without anyone to plead their case?
How many hearts will remain broken?
How many children will go to be hungry?
And all of this was because this one insidious and perfidious ravager of prayer had once again infiltrated the Holy of Holies and profaned that which is sacred and pure.
Why do I share with you my pain and woes?
Why do I unburden myself to you?
Because you and only you can help me!
Yes, - you can help alleviate my pain and helplessness.
What, you may ask, can little ole’ you do?
What action can you take which will restore my sanity and peace of mind?
What small task can you perform to reclaim sanctity where profanity now reigns?
You can SHUT OFF YOUR CELL BEFORE YOU COME TO DAVEN!
Ron Yitzchok Eisenman
Congregation Ahavas Israel
Passaic, NJ