Sunday, January 13, 2013

Soul Or Body - The Sequel

In the previous post I debated a great [unnamed in my post] Rosh Yeshiva, Talmid Chochom and Marbitz Torah as to the reason why there is little talk of the after-life in certain circles [called "modern" for the purposes of labeling...].

I received an email from one of his prominent students [Rav Y.F. whom I thank] quoting the end of his explanation:
At issue in this context is not only the afterlife as such, but rather the interface of our present life, within which the problem, inter alia, of remolding ourselves in the world which Chazal regarded as the prelude to the next. 
 
That is exactly what I meant but of course the the Rosh Yeshiva said it a thousand times more eloquently than I. So no disagreement after all.
 
I also want to apologize if there was even the slightest amount of disrespect shown towards him in the post. It was not meant but if it sounded that way I apologize.
 
When one person knows Shas by heart with many of the rishonim and has thousands of students and exemplary character then one who is much less that dust under his feet [i.e. me] must be careful. Not that one may not offer another opinion but it should be done with respect and the recognition that the other person is on a much-much-much higher plateau.
 
:)