Monday, January 7, 2013

Return Wayward Sons

These weeks are called שובבים. That is an acronym for the parshiyos שמות וארא בא בשלח יתרו משפטים. This is based on the pasuk שובו בנים שובבים - Return wayward sons. During these weeks we are supposed to do extra teshuva. Heavy duty. Sort of like a winter-dike Elul. The source for this is not the gemara but the later mekubalim. Those who can appreciate kabbala in its depth can appreciate שובבים. I am not a mekubal. To be a true mekubal you need to enjoy chicken and a hot cup of tea a lot less than I do. But I try to dabble in sifrei chassidus which elevate me a little out of my coarse physicality as I suggest everyone does.

I once went to a mekubal [Rav Gamliel Rabinowitz Shlita] and he gave me a siddur he published of special mystical tefillos to say during this period. Some people fast every day [until night] or at least Monday and Thursday. The Klausenberger Rebbe told his wife at this time that for the next six weeks she is off duty [meaning that he is not going to eat]. I knew a tzaddik who fasted every day until mincha - but he davened mincha right before shkiya.

The area in which we place a special emphasis is in the area of arayos, histaklus and all around kedusha. These are the parshiyos of Mitzraim which was called ערות הארץ - The nakedness of the land. We try to put some clothing on this nakedness....

This was a shiur on this topic geared for married people.

If people want more on this topic email me and I will try to write more. I also recommend you purchase the sefer on שובבים written based on the sichos of Rav Tzvi Meir Zilberberg who is an angel living amongst men.

For gematria fans -
If we do teshuva we reach שלמות which eliminates the power of the shor [Esav] and chamor [Yishmael] which will ultimately bring Moshiach.
They are all the exact same gematria -
שובו בנים שובבים = שלמות = שור וחמור = ביאת המשיח 776