Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Odd Couple

First Felix went. Now Oscar.

The Odd Couple is dead.

I am so sorry. I grew up watching the sitcom. Their real names were Tony Randall and Jack Klugman. Felix was a very proper, intelligent, neat freak. Oscar was a messy, cigar smoking, sports lover. They were so odd together [hence the name of the show] and made millions laugh. I remember the show being clean, like most of the shows of the 70's.

I once met Tony Randall outside his building, the San Remo on 74th and Central Park West [he died in 2004]. I often think about that meeting when I walk by there. I was a little kid eating an ice cream cone and turned around when I heard a familiar voice and said "Hey, are you Tony Randall?" He didn't say yes. He said in a warm, friendly voice something like "How are you?" I never met Jack Klugman and never will.  

Why am I sad? Maybe because since the show was part of my childhood and the stars of the show died, some of my childhood died along with them.... I am not sure that I am willing to part with my childhood. But maybe I have to.

I will end with the narrative with which every episode began.

"On November 13, Felix Unger was asked to remove himself from his place of residence. (Unger's unseen wife slams door, only to reopen it and angrily hand Felix his saucepan) That request came from his wife. Deep down, he knew she was right, but he also knew that someday, he would return to her. With nowhere else to go, he appeared at the home of his childhood friend, Oscar Madison. Sometime earlier, Madison's wife had thrown him out, requesting that he never return. Can two divorced men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?"