Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Kotzker And The Sfas Emes

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.

Oscar Wilde

The Rebbe Shlita [btw - I must deny a rumor that I am a Meshichist. I really want Moshiach to come but I don't believe that a certain Rebbe from Brooklyn is still alive somewhere in Queens. When I write "The Rebbe Shlita" I refer to Mori Vi-Rabi the Tolna Rebbe Shlita who by all acounts is alive biz a hindrit un tsvontzik, git, gebentchta yoren] is fond of repeating the following story:

When the Sfas Emes was a young man he went to see the Kotzker. The Kotzer was a VERY fiery individual. When he was there somebody put money in front of the Kotzker. His reaction was one of complete disgust. "PHEEEEEWWWWWWW"!!

The Sfas Emes related that for months afterwards he couldn't look at money without feeling the repulsion expressed by the Kotzker.

Sweetest friends - I know very unhappy people with lots of money and very happy people with very little money. That is incontrovertible [GOOD WORD!] evidence that money doesn't necessarily make one happy. More comfortable maybe but not happy.  

Money is like a pair of shoes. They help you get to where you need to go but not more than that. NOBODY I know lives for their shoes. Lots of people live for their money. Sorry Oscar - you have it all wrong..

So please - if you have $ome [not everybody does and I wish them all that they should have. Being poor is no fun:)] - use it for good things and always remember what is most important.