Tuesday, December 11, 2012

So Holy

לזכות אברהם מרדכי בן נעכא גיטל שיהיה כאחד הגדולים אשר בארץ

I didn't blog much today because I had a really busy day. Two guys were arguing. One guy told the other guy that he was sitting on his land. The other guy said "Yeah - but I bought it from the fellow who bought it from you". The first fellow said "You yourself admit that you didn't buy it from me directly - so I have nothing to say to you. Please take a hike". I was trying to understand these two gentleman [I am working on listening:-)]. Since they have both been dead for about 1600 years there is no rush to make any decision....

A quick Shem Mi-shmuel before I call it a night...

[What does ...... mean exactly????]

The gemara calls chanuka a yom tov even though working is permitted. Strange "yom tov"...

Answer [based on kabbala]: Normally labor is forbidden on yom tov because if we guard ourselves from working we also guard the hidden light that is hidden in the holy day and that we don't want the forces of evil to misuse. Chanuka is mamesh so holy that we light in the public domain [which symbolizes evil - רבים is the polar opposite of Hashem who is One] and aren't worried that the forces of evil will misuse the light. So we don't need to guard ourselves from labor to guard the light either. We just praise and thank Hashem [as the gemara defines the yom tov] and have no worry about any negative consequences.

שם משמואל מקץ תרע"ו
עיי"ש