Thursday, December 20, 2012

Harry

There is a concept called a "Harry". This is a person who grew up modern and then moved to the "right". The only thing is - he has not yet fully integrated into Charedi society. That is why he is called "Harry" because he still holds on to his not very yeshivish name. For example, a Harry will carry a backpack [born and bred Charedim don't]. Or, he will have two pairs of sneakers, one for weekdays and one for Shabbos:).   

Emotionally, some people are also "Harrys". The remnants of their childhood stay with them well into adulthood. This can express itself in many, many, many ways. One example: Toys. Toddlers have their toys and millionaires have other toys. Both can be quite possessive of their toys and distraught if anything happens to them.

OK - I will reveal what I REALLY think. No holds barred [I don't worry about getting any angry emails right away because I am about to turn my computer off and don't own a blackberry or I-phone]: ALL PEOPLE are emotional Harrys. We are all underdeveloped in certain areas. I know in what areas [some but maybe not all] I am still a child. It is quite pathetic:). Do you know where you remain an emotional Harry?

One goal of life is to develop ourselves as stable and secure adults and grow out of our infantility [is that a word?]. It is a cross between amusing and tragic when I witness adults acting like three year olds. I often do...

Spiritually, we remain Harrys as well but that is [maybe] for another post.....