Monday, October 29, 2012

Vi-sein Tal For A Traveller

An interesting halachic anamoly.

I am fortunate enough to live in Israel. Yayyyy!!! However, a decree went out from shomayim sending me to galus. So on the seventh of cheshvan I started saying ותן טל ומטר. Here in the Diaspora we don't start saying ותן טל ומטר until the fourth of September. There is a big disscusion about what someone should do if he travels from Israel to the Diaspora or vice versa.

I follow the opinion that one should continue what he was doing previously, so in my present circumstances I will say ותן טל ומטר. However if I am chazan [if you have heard me sing that may not be an attractive possibility] I will NOT say ותן טל ומטר in my חזרת הש"ץ. So in the silent shmone esrei I say ותן טל and in the repetiton ותן ברכה.