Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Love Of Zion

Life, someone once noted, is what happens when you are making other plans. That has been the story of MY life.

I have had things happen to me which were complete nightmares [some still going on:-)] without the benefit of being able to awaken to a far more pleasant reality. Things which were terribly painful and for which I was completely unprepared. I have also had things happen to me which were FAR BETTER than anything I ever imagined. I look at my past - and present - and cannot believe how fortunate I have been. The common denominator is that both the bitter and the sweet have been gifts from haShem to help me fulfill my purpose on this earth. I decided that I will be happy no matter what the circumstances and thank G-d I have been. We can't always control what happens to us but we CAN [usually] control how we relate and deal with the difficulties of life and how much we enjoy the pleasures of life. Some people are consistently dissatisfied and others always find a way to extract the good from everything. I try my hardest to be in the latter category. Baruch haShem I believe that I have been quite successful. HaShem gave me a natural, powerful, simchas chaim which I try to inject into every nisayon, both the nisyonos of עושר - success and well being - and the nisyonos of עוני - trials and tribulations.

One of my life's dreams was to live in the Old City of Jerusalem. Every day in davening we proclaim that haShem Himself lives in Yerushalayim. ברוך השם מציון שוכן ירושלים. Who wouldn't want to live in haShem's home?? How unbelievably fortunate I have been to spend more than half of my life here. Not only did I live in Yerushalayim but I was able to spend my time davening and learning and teaching Torah. מעין עולם הבא. I was able to raise my five children [כן ירבו!!] in the holy air of the City of Gold משוש כל הארץ - the happiest place on earth [tehillim].

AHHHHHHH - but stuff happens.... Recently I decided that the time has come to move out of the Old City. The reasons have ZERO to do with my own personal desires because I was like a fish in water and never imagined that any other place in the world would make me so happy. All the years I lived here I never even wanted to leave for a Shabbos because every Shabbos [and even more so Yom Tov] was so special. I am leaving for other reasons which are beyond the scope of this blog [I am very open with my feelings and experiences but can't tell EVERYTHING to the whole world].

We are moving to a settlement called Givat Zeev which is past Ramot about a twenty five minute car ride from the Central Bus Station in Yerushalayim. Despite my intense feelings of loss and sadness I am STILL going to be bi-simcha and find everything I can to love about my new apartment and neighborhood. I already have a few: 1] I fulfill my long time dream of having my own study so I can learn in solitude and try to continue writing sefarim, blogging, recording shiuim etc. 2] It is a completely religious neighborhood so unlike the tourist filled Old City, high standards of tzniyus will be guarded. 3] It is QUIET, so after years of a 24 hours city-that-never-sleeps life, I will be able to enjoy the peace and serenity of country life. There are other benefits as well and I hope to fall in love with the place and the people there.

The disadvantages? Why focus on what isn't right??!! Ayin tova is the way to go....:-)

The distance from Yerushalayim will hopefully intesify my yearnings for tziyon as a man's love for his beloved intensifies when he finds himself far away from her. מרחוק נראה לי השם. Sometimes we need the distance to really see.

So im yirtzeh haShem this will be another link in the chain of events which will allow myself and my family to reach our shleimus and contribute to the greater good of the world. AMEENNNN!!!

Thanks for letting me share:-).

LOVE TO ALL!!!

PS - The move is planned for Monday and it will probably take time until I get access to Internet so I apologize in advance for all unanswered emails and for not blogging for a few days.

A SWEET NEW YEAR TO ALL OF MY READERS. EVERY ONE OF YOU HAS A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART. BOTH THOSE OF YOU WHOM I DON'T KNOW PERSONALLY AND EVEN MORE SO THOSE WHOM I DO KNOW.