Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Be Yourself

In order to truly connect to other people stop trying to be what you think other people want you to be and be YOURSELF. Sometimes I wonder if people like who I really am and think that in order to be liked I should try to be different. Then I remind myself that the only person I can possibly truly be is ME. If others don't like that, well, it's all I got. Anything else is fake and artificial. NOBODY likes fake and artificial. I sometimes detect fakeness [fakity?:-)] in people and I almost want to shake them and say "BE REAL JOSE!! Stop trying to impress me!!" I don't do that because I don't know anybody named Jose. [No way?! Waaaayyyyyy....]

The most likable person you can be is your true self. Remember that if you are dating, married, have friends, would like to have friends etc. etc. Anything else is קלא אילן which is fake tcheilis that the gemara so sharply decries. 

A mareh makom for the scholarly: במלכות היהדות of Rav Avraham Chen [hard "Ch" - he wasn't Chinese] in his chapter on עצמיות האדם. A true tour-de-force.