Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Assumptions Assumptions

Recently I was called up to do "hagba". The gabbai, whom I have known for about 20 years, proclaimed in that universal gabbaic tune [you know it]  "Yaamod Eliyahu ..... " and waited for me to give my father's name. I stood there stunned and speechless. I've been called a  lot of names in my life. Sally, Salamander, Stupid, Retarded, Loser etc. etc. but NEVER "Eliyahu". Then I realized. He knows me as "Ally" which he ASSUMED is short for Eliyahu. AHHHHH. So I just said "Hanavi Zachur Latov".... No, I didn't.

The gabbai made a classic mistake we all make from time to time. We make false assumptions. We assume things about people that just AREN'T TRUE. Example: JUST people because a certain person dresses a certain way doesn't mean he is who you think he is. In Jerusalem [and Beitar and Kiryat Sefer and Lakewood etc. etc.], just about every male 13 and up wears the same uniform [with variations]: White shirt, black pants, black shoes, black kippah, black jacket, black hat [what IS IT with black? Are we all Pittsburgh Steeler fans?? Do the Steelers still wear black? Do the Oakland Raiders? What is Al Davis doing in Shomayim? An old childhood friend of mine was Al Davis' relative. (Do you read this Eli K.??) I'll bet many people reading this don't know who Al Davis is. Maybe his Hebrew name was in fact Eliyahu? Maybe the gabbai mistook me for Al Davis. But why would he think I am a dead man?? Do I look that bad in the morning?! I thiiiink I have strayed from the main topic, tyere yidden]. Yet EACH ONE  is a world unto himself.  But some external superficial people think that they are all the same [i.e. tzedaka collectors]. NO! Everyone has a different personality, talents and abilities.

There are many false assumptions we make. So remember - next time you make an assumption remind yourself that it is just that - an assumption and not reality.

In our search for the unadulterated truth about life it's worthwhile keeping in mind what Orville Wright once said "If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."


Love and blessings:-)