Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Very Sad Day

Today is Yom Hazikaron and there are videos circulating around the internet about the many soldiers and innocent citizens murdered by Arabs. The magnitude of the tragedies are almost too great to bear.

Whenever I have to try to comfort a mourner, I never know what to say, so I don't say much. What can I say then to the tens of thousands of people who lost sons, daughters, brothers and sisters. A kallah [and her father] on the night before her wedding. [Still can't get over that one]. A mother, father and siblings all at once. [The Fogels]. 8 boys innocently sitting in a Beis Medrash immersing in the purifying waters of Torah. [One of them my upstairs neighbor Yochai. Last night I walked past his father on the stairs. I really didn't know what to say so I sufficed with "Shalom HaRav"]. A soldier killed by "friendly fire". An accident. Killed by one of our own. [My downstairs neighbor Ariel]. A family that made aliyah from Manhattan and their son died parachuting from an airplane. [Yosef Goodman. I saw a video on that one that my Uncle sent me. They insisted on allowing their other son's to serve in combat units. Unreal]. They could have stayed in the US where children are generally raised to worry first and foremost about themselves and not their people. Then their son wouldn't have been jumping out of airplanes but sittting in College ensuring a prosperous future for himself. A mother who lost TWO SONS. And thousands and thousands more who all left bereaving family and friends.

Trust me. A parent NEVER gets over losing a child. Every Shabbos and Yom Tov and every "simcha" are more opportunities to be sad and remember the loss. The pillow turns into a sponge for all the tears.

Sweetest friends - we should never know.

May Hashem comfort all of the families and send us Moshiach and tchiyas hameisim speedily in our days.

In the meantime, we can utilize the approach of Aharon Hakohen upon the loss of his two sons.

וידם אהרן. And Aharon remained silent.

Despite everything sweetest friends I still insist - TOMMMIIIIID BI-SIIIMCHA!