Sunday, April 22, 2012

Don't Remain Silent

We know that as part of his purification process a metzora must bring two birds. One is slaughtered and the other is sent away. The reason for the slaughtering is because he spoke lashon hara just like the bird chirps away, so the atonement is to kill the bird [Rashi].

But the second bird requires understanding. Why do we send it away when it will just continue chirping? The answer given is that sometimes one MUST talk. The first bird for when he SHOULDN'T talk, the second for when he SHOULD.

LET THE SECOND BIRD CHIRP AWAY!!

I recently was told of a case here in Yerushalayim that I can't get over: A boy is about to marry a girl. Someone I know who was involved found out that [unbeknownst to the boy] the girl has a mental illness for which she is not taking medication. He asked a Rabbi if he should tell the boy and he was told TO REMAIN SILENT. He listened and they got married. The Chosson will soon find out the truth - to his tremendous dismay.

I searched and searched. What is the source for such a psak?? EVERYBODY who deals with these halachos paskens that in such an instance one MUST inform the boy, otherwise one transgresses the prohibition of לא תעמוד על דם רעך - Don't stand by idly while your brother's blood is spilled. I even suspect that the whole marriage might be dissolved without a get because it was performed under false pretenses and is thus a מקח טעות. For that we need to ask a Rav Eliyashav [he should have a refuah shleima] or someone else of very high caliber.

The truth is that I don't know the boy, I don't know the girl [I don't talk to girls] and I don't know the name of the Rabbi who paskened to refrain from informing the boy. But I DO KNOW that the person who told the story is trustworthy and I believe that the Rabbi made a grave error.

So if you ever know similar information remember that peoples lives are at stake and a wise, competent posek should be consulted.