Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Seat Mates - Frummer Than Rav Shlomo Zalman - Things Chazal Didn't Say

I get on the plane and I have an aisle seat but next to a young American college girl on Birthright. Since I tend to fall asleep on transatlantic flights [and during boring speeches:-)] and really didn't want myself to end up finding my head on her shoulder, I decided to find another seat. But I remember that when a woman sat next to Rav Shlomo Zalman on a bus he didn't get up because he didn't want to offend her. Am I frummer than Rav Shlomo Zalman??

Apparently, because I smiled and apologized to her, told her it was nothing personal, offered to financially reimburse her for any anguish caused and switched seats. She assured me that no offense was taken.

I am really NOT frummer than Rav Shlomo Zalman. I just don't think you learn halacha from stories.

The only person upset by the whole thing was the stewardess. She got really annoyed. But as Chazal don't say "Better annoy a stewardess with your chonyokishkeit - than end up snoring on the shoulder of a female student at Yale."