Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Rebbe's Limited Authority

The Mishna teaches עשה לך רב - everybody must make for themselves a Rebbe. Thank G-d many people follow this dictum. The Rebbe may be the Rav of the community or a Rebbe in Yeshiva or a local posek.

The problem is that many [most?] people draw a metaphorical line in the sand and say "until here I will follow your words but not beyond." Whether it pertains to personal matters or halachic issues people are not willing to completely commit themselves to following the Rebbe's words. If it is too inconvenient or difficult or uncomfortable to follow what he says, people find a different Rebbe - or no Rebbe at all. But if the Rebbe is the conduit of dvar Hashem it is difficult to justify ignoring his words just because it is tough to follow them.

Example: Rav Shach [and many others] decried the common practice that a boy not marry a girl unless promised an apartment and long term support. In his lifetime and after the practice continues despite the fact that many consider him their Rebbe.

I am a very small person and am not fitting to be anybody's Rebbe. When people ask me if someone is my talmid/a I will always deny it. Who do I think I am?? Despite this some people have considered me their Rebbe. But I never let it get to my head because I know that just about everybody will quickly jettison me if I become inconvenient. A "Fair-Weather-Rebbe" if you will. Everybody has their red lines where if the Rebbe crosses them they will no longer listen. Not because they believe that Hashem is on their side but because it is in their eyes too difficult to follow his dictates. My own policy is that I never impose my opinion on anybody but I am amused [not sure if that's the right description] by how people will profess allegiance to the Rebbe because he represents for them dvar Hashem but only as long as it fits with their general plans.

Am I being too harsh??

I don't know but that's the way I see it.

For me it's great. Keeps me humble....