Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Feeling The Simcha

Sweet friends - shortly I will be leaving for my son's bar mitzvah. Of course I am filled with gratitude to Hashem for giving me a son and keeping him healthy and enabling me to raise him in Yerushalayim [for the first time in my family in two thousand years!!]. The custom in these parts is that many people who attend smachos just drop in for a minute to wish mazel tov and move on.

There are bli ayin hara countless smachos every day. Brissim, bar mitzvahs, bas mitzvahs, weddings, and then more children and more smachos כן ירבו. It is really difficult to make it and spend time at all of these events.

The problem is that people never really engage themselves in others people's smachos. For their own smachos they invest preparation time and money. They then stay from beginning to end, enjoying every minute. But for others, they rush in and out and often don't feel much simcha at all and just come out of obligation.

The Rebbe Shlita often laments this fact. He stresses how important it is to really experience the joy of others.

This brings us back to an oft repeated theme on this blog. "Narcissism". The world revolves around me. A common malaise. The "avoida" tyere, precious friends is to break loose and begin to experience others as you do yourself.

The Torah has a term for this.

It's called ואהבת לרעך כמוך.

May we always share smachos beloved friends:-)!!

PS - Always appreciate feedback. I often wonder what people think. מכל מלמדי השכלתי.