Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Little Freaky

A number of years back I had the zchus of walking down my block here in the Old City with Mori V'rabbi the Rebbe Shlita. A pair of young people passed by and one exclaimed to the other "Man, that was really freaky!"

The Rebbe Shlita turned to me and with a twinkle in his eye and a smile he said in heavily accented English [we normally converse in Hebrew] "EVERYBODY is a leetle beet frreaky".

I have been walking around with this myseh for years and not only for the comic relief it affords me. It is SOOO true. Everybody really is a little bit freaky. We all have our idiosyncrasies and mishagossim. [I often quip that I want to move to Michigan and become a Chassidishe Rebbe there. I would be called "The Mishigine Rebbe". AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.]

So sweet friends - let people be themselves. He's a little crazy, she's a little crazy - who isn't. Letting go of your desire to criticize will allow you to accept and love people as they are.