Monday, January 23, 2012

שלא עשני גוי

Every day we say "she-lo asani goy". We thank the Good Lord for not making us a goy. Now this requires explanation. When I say פוקח עורים every day it makes sense because seeing yesterday doesn't ensure that I will see today so I must thank Him anew daily. When I say מלביש ערומים every day it also makes sense because just because I wore clothing yesterday doesn't mean I will be able to do so today. Every day requires new thanks. [That's a bracha that really requires kavana. None of us have ever had to walk around naked for lack of clothing - certainly not in the winter. But we should appreciate what a tremendous bracha it is. Imagine life without clothing. We'd NEVER be able to leave our rooms. And even there we'd feel very ill at ease. THANK YOU HASHEM FOR CLOTHING!!!! And thank you Mommy for buying all of my clothing!! I have barely bought a stitch of clothing since I was born. And thank you Nechi for washing my clothing. What would we do without the women in our lives?? Probably wear dirty clothing for a long long time... Or invent disposable clothing. Reb Chaim Stepelman - are you reading this??]

But what about שלא עשני גוי. When I thank Hashem that I am not a goy, one time should suffice. Because if I wasn't a goy yesterday it is impossible for me to be a goy today! So once in a lifetime should be enough.

The answer is that there is a new spark of Jewishness placed in our soul daily. We must feel this spark and appreciate that if we weren't Jewish we wouldn't have a true life. All of our chiyus, all of our vitality and life force should be drawn from our Jewishness.

The late Tolna Rebbe ztz"l used to come to his grandchildren's home [including Mori V'Rabbi Shlita the present Rebbe] late at night and sing and dance with them to the tune of שלא עשני גוי. The Rebbe tells this story with such relish. This inculcated in the children an appreciation of how fortunate they are.

So every day before you make the bracha think [thinking before a bracha - what a NOVEL concept:-)] of how wonderful it is to be a member of the chosen people. To be able to enjoy Shabbos and Yom Tov, Torah study and the many mitzvos we do. To internalize the knowledge that we will all live on forever, as we know - כל ישראל יש להם חלק לעולם הבא.

SHE-LO ASANI GOY.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


[Rav Charlap ztz"l page 33]