Sunday, December 11, 2011

Worth Another Look

I already posted this story today but I am so enthralled by it I decided that it deserves another look. The editorial board didn't object. Fortunately - there is no editorial board...

As yeshiva was let out late one afternoon several boys were standing in front of Chaim Berlin as the Rosh Yeshiva and his wife left the building and walked toward their car (which was waiting for them). One boy opened up the front door of the car for Rav Hutner and then opend up the back door for the Rebbitzen. Rav Hutner looked at the the young man, tapped his cane on the ground (for effect) and said, in perfect Oxford English, "What, pray tell, do you think you are doing?" The boy replied, "I just wanted to open the car door for the Rosh Yeshiva." Rav Hutner then said, "What makes you think that I don't want to sit with my wife? Remember this: No one or nothing ever comes between a husband and a wife".