Sunday, December 18, 2011

REFLECTIONS

As my sojourn in the US comes to an end I reflect....

In my life I have merited writing checks and have also received checks [bar-mitzvah, wedding, kollel etc.]. I must say that on scale of one to ten the feeling of giving a check is a ten plus, the bigger the check - the better. The feeling of receiving is a one minus. Fortunately, people gave with completely good will but what can I do, I am a descendent of Avraham Avinu and my strong inclination is to give. I was touched by the amount of smalls checks I received on behalf of the kollel. People with little money or less who wanted a portion in supporting Torah. People who actually have money and could write big checks didn't give anything baruch Hashem [with an exception or two]. I say baruch Hashem because I am His employee and thank Him for His grace and want no more than He deems fit to give. I have big plans for the future and know that they will either happen or not but it is not in my hands so hopefully I will be at ease. I also know that there are many yeshivos and I am not entitled more than others. The important thing is that Torah is propogated amongst our people.

On this trip I was able to connect to a lot of people which I found very rewarding. Baruch Hashem people came to various shiurim and communicated with me personally or via telephone or email. I love people so that part was the most gratifying.

I also learned a lot about human nature in general and about specific people. What I learned about certain individuals was not always the most complimentary and actually caused me great pain. But I choose not to elaborate on that for fear of offending people [people don't feel comfortable when you can see through them but what can I do - it is a G-d given ability that I have]. On a brighter note I learned who my real friends are. That is important to know and adds a sense of security. I wish EVERYBODY a few good emes'e friends. I must say that I find them very hard to come by and appreciate the ones I have. You know who you are.

A special highlight of the trip was participating in the simcha of the engagement of Moshe Gavriel Bernstein and Rochel Leah Mitnick. They are a pair from shomayim.

Another uplifting simcha was that of the engagement of Ariel Waintraub and Esti Schneider. They are a special couple and will live together for many, many happy and healthy years.

I thank all those people who hosted me, gave me rides, contributed to the kollel, attended shiurim or even looked at me [I know people who don't even do that..]. May Hashem bless you all. And to all those who read the blog I say a HUG thank you. [Note - that was a typo I realized well after posting but if you know me you realize that it was a Freudian typo. I think I gave out about 10,000 hugs this trip. Except for girls and li'havdil a trillion havdalos, the many dogs on the UWS, I hugged just about everybody that moved...:-)]

Of course a major thank you to my parents who hosted me for this period. They are the BEST!

Sweetest friends - tomorrow I will make aliya once again and see the six people in the world to whom I am inextricably connected forever. My holy wife Necha Gittel, the tzidkonis who let me come, Gila Shoshana who faithfully assists her mother in keeping home while working VERY hard at high school, Shmuel Alexander who pounds away at his meseches shabbos day and night, Avraham Mordechai who does likewise with his bava kamma while getting ready for his bar mitzva in two months plus [you are invited], Simcha'le who is possibly my greatest source of simcha in this world and Chana Leiba who is the light of our home. America is nice but Israel is home. And while friends are special nobody can replace family and how fortunate am I to have one. כן ירבו!

Love and blessings sweetest friends and see you in Jerusalem!