Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mizmor Li'toda

As my stay in the US comes to a close I would like to say thank you. The very first word out of a Jew's mouth in the morning is "thank you". We are called "yehudim" which means "thankers".

Thank you to all who contributed to the cause of spreading Torah, Mussar, Chassidus, Middos Tovos, Ahavas Yisrael etc. Interestingly enough, almost everybody [everybody?] I asked to contribute turned me down. Every single contribution was initiated by the giver [!] and, I felt, came from the heart. When the mishkan was built the contributions had to be from the heart ["asher yidvenu libo"] because to build something holy, you need heart. [Rav Moshe Schapiro]
Strange as it sounds - I thank those who pledged and have not yet sent. Whenever I think of how much more we need and then I think of your pledges I feel better:-).

I also thank all those who have been in touch with me either via phone, email, or in person. You have no idea how much it means to me. Especially appreciated are those who come to my shiurim. You give me my chiyus.

I would also like to thank the many people who hosted me in their homes, cars, shuls and camp: Firstly to R' Shmuel Binyamin and Shira Malka Stein who were most instrumental in making the trip a success and hosted me for two Shabbosim. And of course thanks to Simcha, Tamara, Eli and Eitan.

To R' Mike and Debbie Schreiber who made their beautiful home available for an uplifting shiur [it was for me I hope it was for others as well] and made sure to get me back to where I needed to be afterwards, including a trip to the supermarket, ensuring my continued existence in this world!

To my old chavrusa R' Eytan and Aliza Feldman and family. It was like old times.

R' Aharon Yisrael and Suzanne Feit and family. Sweeter than sweet. Didn't want to leave.

R' Yehuda Yaakov Spindler. We had a deep conversation on about 78th between Broadway and Amsterdam I won't soon forget. Zivug hagoon bim'heyra.

R' Zevi Blumenfrucht - in his zchus I davened maariv at the Carlebach Shul although to my great dismay he [R' Shlomo] was not there. Then we met two Satmar Chasidim late at night who were looking for the Hudson River [to be toivel? Wouldn't advise it].

R' Moshe Gavriel Bernstein. Ahhh my beloved Moshe Gavriel!

R' Shmuel Eliezer Wechsler - one of my oldest friends [about 30 years] who took good care of me in Queens and may he find his zivoog bi'mheyra bi'yameinu!!

R' Ari Kolton. Found me lost in Penn Station and held my hand to the Five Towns and then drove me to my destination.

R' Chaim Yehoshua Austein. Came in big time.

R' Avraham Yitzchak Jaspan - who would do anything for me.

R' Yosef Ezra Jaspan - see seifa of previous sentence.

R' Dovid Akiva and Sharon Rauch. Such pillars of their community.

R' Shmuel Tzvi and Rivka Chaya Rauch. They are two people who literally make me happy to be alive [besides the many other reasons I have..].

Mr. and Mrs. Stern [Rivka Chaya's parents]. Had a uplifting shlashudis in their home.

R' Shmuli and Rachel Stern who most graciously gave about 6 hours of their time to take me to Hasc. It was flat out fun hanging out with them.

R' Ovadiah and Miriam Gold and Elana Simone. They not only hosted me for a delicious meal but also accompanied me back to my place of lodgings knowing that if left on my own I would have managed to make my way from Kew Gardens Hills somewhere to the middle of Harlem thanks to my wonderful sense of direction that gets me lost EVERYWHERE! May Elana Simone find a tzaddik worthy of her bi'karov.

R' Yonason Fruchter who is a ba'al chesed par excellence.

R' Binyamin Leibowitz. So good.

R' Daniel Simcha Bornstein. Always has a smile for me.

R' Yoni Leifer who gave me a lot of time in his home, great advice and a ride.

R' Yitsi and Lea Weinreb. And of course Adina Tova. The most gentle, easy going family I know.

R' Ezzie and Serach Goldish and Eliana and Kaila. Nothing like cousins.

R' Alex Yusopov who never met or heard of me yet warmly welcomed me into his home.

R' Simcha Yusopov who indeed gives me a lot of simcha.

R' Yitzi Kreinberg who drove me back from a wedding very late at night - with a smile.

R' Binyamin Yitzchak and Kelly Frenkel and Meir Simcha Chaim for a beautiful night in Queens of Torah and food.

Rabbis Fabian and Yoel Schonfeld and the Young Israel of Kew Gardens Hills who let me speak from the pulpit of their shul. I hope they didn't regret it although Rabbi Fabian remarked to me after I spoke that the gemara says to say one funny thing before the shiur - not the whole time. But I saw that he enjoyed the Torah, baruch Hashem.

Rabbi Judah Mischel and Rabbi Dovid'l Weinberg, two hartzige yidden who warmly welcomed me to HASC.

Rabbi Jonathan Rosenblatt and all the chevre at the Riverdale Jewish Center for an uplifting, stomach filling night.

Dr. and Mrs. Steven Levine and family, particularly Aliza Rachel who organized a shiur that added much simcha to my life.

Rabbi Shaul Robinson who kindly invited me to Lincoln Square Synoguage and encouraged me to pursue my goal.

Rabbi Shmuel Marcus and the Ishei Yisrael community who graciously allowed me to speak.

OF COURSE OF COURSE, to my parents who put me up in their home almost 17 years after thinking that, finally, I am off their backs and I have my own place... Rare is the hostess who not only cooks and does the laundry of her guest, but actually goes to department stores to make sure that if her guest is not the most knowledgable Rosh Kollel, he will certainly be the best dressed. Since words cannot express my thanks - I won't try.

Achrona Chaviva - my wife, whose strongest midda is her modesty, which precludes me from expressing my feelings publicly. She encouraged me to go and leave her alone with our children including our baby, knowing that this kollel is my dream and that I need to achieve it and spread the light of Hashem's Torah in ways that the world so deeply needs [in my humble opinion]. May Hashem continue making her an Isha Kedosha and may she forgive me for writing this...

And of course, the Ribbono Shel Olam. He kindly hosts me in His world despite my many failings and patiently waits for me to improve my ways while He continually bestows upon me limitless kindness. I could go on and on and on - but brevity is the order of the day. Eelu pinu malei shira ka'yom, u'lishonainu rina ki'hamon galav, vi'sifsoseinu shevach ki'merchavei rakea etc. , ein anu maspikim lihodos... I hope I am giving Him nachas ruach with my activities.

I have a special feeling in my heart for all those mentioned and will try to always hold on to it.

Love to all!

PS - If I forgot anybody - PLEASE REMIND ME!:-)