Sunday, June 19, 2011

Diary Entry From My Journey #5

Today I went to a Beis Medrash to immerse myself in the blissful world of Torah and to forget about the unpleasant circumstances in which I find myself. I was probably wallowing in a little bit too much self-pity when I saw a older blind man sitting outside the Beis Medrash saying in a Yiddish accented English "I CAN'T SEE. PLEASE GIVE ME MONEY FOR MY FAMILY." Occasionally a boy would walk by and give him a dollar or two. Often, he would be given nothing.

This did two things for me.

1] It put my "problems" in perspective. I don't even HAVE problems! I just have blessings. I started to count them.

2] It made me sad for the rest of the day. I would like to go to sleep tonight but I fear that I will be haunted by the trauma of this man's suffering. It's much easier to stay up and try to learn and distract myself.

May Hashem provide a salvation for each and every person and for the entire community of Israel and the entire world.

LOVE AND BLESSINGS!!!