Sunday, June 19, 2011

Diary Entry From My Journey #3

"GO AWAY YOU ANNOYING SHNORRER! GET A JOB!!"

Nobody actually says that to me but that's the message certain people can certainly convey to me with their actions.

I have two responses.

1] I am not collecting for myself. I am collecting to advance Torah and Avodas Hashem amongst the Jewish people. I am also not collecting because I don't want to work. I actually want to work very hard. I take no pleasure in doing nothing and having other people give me money and anyone who does has serious problems. Leading a kollel, preparing shiurim, working with the avreichim, dealing with the finances and government regulations is hard work. But I have to fundraise because there are expenses.

2] Even "annoying shnorrers" are human beings and deserve to be treated with dignity.