Thursday, June 23, 2011

Diary Entry From My Journey #14

"Reframing" is a psychological mechanism whereby a person views an apparent problem or detrimental trait in a new light. For example instead of thinking that the girl you went out with was "loud" you say she was "lively" or "bubbly." Instead of a boy being "unemotional" he is "intellectual."

I was viewing my present job as chief fundraiser as "shnorring" and I wasn't feeling good about it. So I decided to reframe.

What do the following people have in common? Rav Aharon Kotler, Rav Yosef Dov Soloveitchik, Rav Yitzchak Hutner, Rav Yosef Kahanamen [the Ponovitcher Rov], Rav Elchanan Wasserman, Ally [Elchanan] Ehrman and ... Moshe Rabbeinu!!!

Whoaaaaaaaa!!!! Stop! Someone does NOT belong on that list!!

Wait! They ALL had to fundraise for Torah! So even the second to last gentleman belongs on the list [with mechila from all of the tzaddikim for being mentioned in the same breath with them].

Viewing my job in that light gives me the strength to plow forward and disregard the obstacles I often encounter.

Sweetest friends, we can ALL reframe when necessary:)!

Love and blessings!